While doing some research for our presentation to the SGA last night, we came across some shocking data. Even though we are one of the most outspoken organizations constantly exclaiming College Park’s ‘ripeness for redevelopment’ and are on record talking about CP’s imminent “massive development campaign” several times, putting these numbers in one place really took our breath away (italics indicate our confidence that the project will be built):
-> East Campus Development Initiative (extensive housing – 1000 units?, office, retail)
-> M-Square Research Park (extensive office, 490 condos)
-> Private Investments in the pipeline
- Mosaic at Turtle Creek (8 stories, 300 condos behind Hillel)
- City Hall deal (9 stories, 165 condos, 350 space downtown garage, retail)
- Northgate Condominiums (17 stories 204 condos, retail)
- Starview Plaza (110 units, office, retail)
- University View Overlook (office, retail in front of University View)
- Berwyn House Apartments (additional 72 units)
- CP Metro Station (400 condos)
- Hillcrest Heights (140-160 condos, retail – now considering combining with Lasicks and providing student housing)
- Mazza Grandmarc Apartments (211 unit student housing – North CP)
- Knox Redevelopment???
- Universal Barber Site – Condos???
- North Gate Luxury Hotel???
We got most of this information from the College Park Development Update. Although some of these projects are still in the conceptual stage and have a rigorous approval process ahead of them, they represent literally billions in potential investment for the area. Even if only half of these projects come to fruition in the next 10-15 years, College Park will be forever changed by the influx of both diverse buyers/renters and retail. Alas, the condo market, politics, and planning are notoriously fickle – potentially thwarting plans from year to year and changing the nature of projects.